So you’ve landed an interview for that job you’ve been wanting? Congrats! Now, don’t mess it up by failing to present yourself in the best way possible. I will give you tips as to what to wear (and what not to wear) and what to do (and yes, what not to do) to increase your chances of nailing the interview, specifically for retail women’s fashion.
As a Store Manager for approximately five years now (with different companies), I have conducted my fair share of interviews. Some candidates were amazing, some quite average, while some didn’t make it past the five minute mark. So what stood the successful ones out from the rest? One word, presentation. This doesn’t just refer to an outfit, but an entire look. Making an effort with your appearance shows your interviewer that you care and want to impress them, and I’ll tell you what, we like to be impressed!
What does one wear to an interview? What does one do? Well, here are some Do’s and Don’ts to help guide you to success. I’m thinking we end with the Do’s so we finish on a positive note!
(Please note, this is just a guide. You can either take my advice, or you can ignore this all and kick yourself later) 😉
- Wear clothing with labels written all over it if the company you are interviewing for does not sell that brand.
- Chew gum during the interview. You wouldn’t be chewing it while working, so don’t bring it to the interview.
- Wear thongs / flip flops / whatever you want to call them, ever. Leave them for the beach or your days off.
- Reveal too much skin. Your cleavage will distract your interviewer, yes, but not for the right reasons.
- Wear a skirt or shorts you can’t sit comfortably in. Always perform a ‘sit down’ test to see if any underwear or body parts are showing that should be kept well hidden. But let’s face it, if either of those are showing, then you should probably re-consider their existence in your wardrobe..
- Ensure your makeup is neat and suitable, keeping it as simple as possible. If you are blessed with amazing skin and rarely wear makeup, do make sure your skin is looking fresh. Want to stand out? A bright lipstick will do the trick!
- Wear clothing from the store you are interviewing for, or something that looks as if it could be sold there.
- Have a breath mint before meeting your interviewer, fresh breath is always great.
- Wear nice clean shoes. Keep in mind that you may want to keep your stilettos at home.
- Make an effort with your hair. Off the face will help avoid you fidgeting with your hair during the interview.
- Have your nails neat and clean. If you wear nail polish, ensure your colour isn’t chipping or growing out – it’s not cool.
- Spritz yourself with some perfume, keyword being ‘some’.
- Keep your phone on silent and in your bag. Your interviewer doesn’t care for your Facebook notifications or Instagram likes.
- Wear black and white if all your outfit options fail. This classic look is always a winner in my books.
- Accessorise appropriately. Your style and personality will shine which is very important.
- Be yourself. We can tell when you are not being you, so don’t try and fool us.
So there you have it! Your guide to gaining that job, or at least be in with a good chance. Now stay calm and raid that wardrobe of yours for the perfect outfit!
Oh, and remember, you are never fully dressed without a smile!!! 🙂